Alma del Mar is a K-8 charter school whose mission is to put every one of our scholars on the path to college and to challenge them to be service-minded leaders. We do this by immersing our scholars in a highly demanding, highly supportive environment where they receive a content-rich education.
Alma gets results for kids. After fewer than three years at Alma, our scholars outperform their district peers in reading ability and surpass their suburban peers in mathematics achievement. In addition, we’re known for being a highly inclusive school. Over 30% of scholars at Alma receive additional academic or behavioral support beyond our core academic program. We have been nationally recognized for our effectiveness in serving English language learners..
The Director of Finance leads Alma’s finance and accounting functions, managing resources that fuel our progress toward impact, sustainability, and scale. Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Finance is a key member of Alma’s School Support Team, collaborating with leaders across our network. Bringing sophisticated finance expertise, the Director manages: Financial Operations, Controls & Compliance; Financial Planning & Reporting; Budgeting and Real Estate Financing. As we grow to serve an increasing number of families, Alma is excited to bring on our first ever Director of Finance to manage increased organizational and financial complexities.
Responsibilities of this Role
Financial Operations, Controls & Compliance
- Oversee accounts payable, accounts receivable, and other daily accounting and financial functions and general ledger transactions
- Oversee timely, accurate monthly and annual close
- Document, communicate, and train staff on fiscal policies and procedures
- Project manage preparation for and participation in financial and compliance audit
Financial Reporting/Budgeting & Planning
- Produce accurate and timely monthly financial statements for school leadership and network leadership team to review, including budget-to-actuals-to-forecast for income statement, cash flow, and balance sheet
- Produce accurate, timely financial reports for special analyses, projects, grants/contracts, and planning with board & leadership team
- Define, track, and report progress on financial health and sustainability metrics
- Oversee finance portions of public grants management including budgeting and reporting
- Coordinate with Development team on revenue projections, recognition, reporting and budgets
- Design and lead annual budgeting process, collaborating with leadership team across Alma network
- Develop business plans and multi-year financial and sustainability strategy and modeling
Real Estate & Facility Planning
- Work closely with Executive Director, Board facilities committee and external consultants to align operating financials with real estate project financials, financing requirements and reporting
- Monitor closely and ensure adherence to all financial covenants and agreements related to bank loans and financing.
- Periodically lead market evaluations to ensure Alma’s banking relationships are consistent with market rates. Lead effort to refinance real estate loans if appropriate.
- Serve as a valued thought partner to the CEO and the leadership team on expansion strategic planning
- Provide financial analyses required to support strategic decision-making.
- Support the CEO on all financial issues; provide recommendations based on financial analysis.
- Lead presentations to the Board of Directors and work closely with the CEO and Board Chair.
- Provide high-quality, cost-effective service and support to school leadership.
Who We’re Looking For
Outstanding candidates will meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s in business, finance, accounting or public administration and/or CPA preferred
- 5+ years experience in financial functions required, including Accounting & Controls; Compliance; Reporting; Budgeting; Grants; Real Estate; Financial Modeling; Business Planning
- Nonprofit or public sector experience required, preferably in a high-performing, growing, multi-site education or school organization
- Proven ability to plan, build and execute at the same time
- Highly flexible with the versatility to shift between strategic and tactical responsibilities
- Strong team orientation
- Infectious joy